We are in the middle of a glorious heatwave! If you know Wiley, you’d also know that he’d be very impressed… However, I wish I could say the same for some of you (who aren’t). Having said that, I can see why, because England doesn’t get much (if any) sunshine. Also, it doesn’t help that the heat we’re accustomed to is sticky, humid and muggy.
So, this post is targeted at those of you who are not fans of this weather and are looking for ways to keep cool. Below, you will find lists of things to do, wear and eat which’ll help to some extent.
Disclaimer: I cannot say that the majority of these tips aren’t common-sense related. Then again, at least I have some…
- Invest in a fan or air conditioner and switch it on (that’d be a start, wouldn’t it?)…
- Stay hydrated by drinking water or plenty of cold beverages.
- Purchase some cooling spray and apply it whenever or wherever you are, I choose MagiCool. Alternatively, a spray toner from LUSH works just as well.
- Stay in shady areas when in parks (under the tree is best).
- Spend your entire Summer in Waitrose or Iceland as the big branches have AirCon inside. 😉 If that’s not your thing, stick to hanging out inside the freezers of the frozen food aisles… 😆
- Go on holiday to the North Pole. (Bit farfetched but then again, YOLO!)
- Close your blinds/curtains to avoid the heat of the sun from warming up your room.
- Open a window or a door… LOL, top tip, that!
- Make Jell-O and freeze them, followed by an ‘eat them’ session.
- Consume plenty of ice cream/ice lollies.
- Refrigerate everything – your veg, your chocolates, your fruits.
- Eat salads, sandwiches or sushi and avoid hot food. You could even try Gazpacho for starters and yogurts and trifles for dessert.
Things to wear in Summer:
- Tops and shorts (obvs) or soft cotton tops etc. Wearing loose fitted clothes stops them from sticking to your body when you’re out & about.
- Avoid wearing black (even though it is the best colour of clothing) because it attracts the sun.
- Sunscreen. Vital. Don’t leave your abode without it… Apply, apply, apply – keeping applying and reapplying.
- Sunglasses to protect your eye sockets and balls (slightly graphic and anatomical with my choice of terminology but there you go).
- Umbrellas. Believe it or not, umbrellas were used to shelter people from the sun before they were used to shield us from the rain…
- BB creams and soft moisturises instead of thick ones and full makeup. It’s inevitable that we will sweat – so nobody wants blocked pores and melting makeup. Stay moisturised or risk skin chapping/chafing and whatnot…
- Shower. I mean, it doesn’t take much does it? Water + your body + some shower gel = hygiene and keeping the people around you happy (and their nasal passages & sense of smell in tact). Lovely.
- Don’t complain. I don’t know if you know this but we do not have the luxury of round the clock and all year round sunshine.,, Yes, it’s hot but it won’t last so – don’t complain. Relish in it and embrace it!
- Go out to outdoor pools, the beach, BBQs… Honestly, life is too short. Do fun stuff, go out to funfairs, theme parks, town shows, festivals etc.
- Take regular breaks at work (when possible) to enjoy the sunshine.
- It doesn’t matter how, but just – get some of that Vitamin D. The right amount of it and when done safely (using sun protection), it can prove very beneficial for your mood, your skin, your hair and overall health and wellbeing.
Have I missed anything? I’m sure I have, so get in touch via the solar panelled comments section on my page and we’ll make some photosynthesis worthy communication.